Please follow these steps:
– Browse to //www.sophos.com/en-us/support/utm-downloads.aspx
– Download the ISO file you want to install (e.g. “asg-9.408-4.1.iso“).
– Create a new virtual machine in your virtualization platform. Customize it appropriate to your needs.
– If asked for the type of your operating system, select “Linux 64 bit”, “SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 64 bit” or similar.
– As a rough guideline, we recommend at least: 2 CPUs (cores), 4 GB RAM, 100 GB of disk space, and 2 NICs, 1 CDROM.
For non-productive environments (evaluation/test machines), you can downsize of course.
– It is no problem to add (also if the UTM was already running) CPUs, RAM, or NICs afterwards. It’s NOT possible to resize the hard-disks afterwards.
– For the NICs we recommend to use VMXNET3 drivers in VMware, or optionally E1000 drivers. DO NOT USE “FLEXIBLE” NICS – it may leads to several performance issues.
– Mount the downloaded ISO file into the virtual CDROM.
Now turn on your virtual machine and boot from the virtual CDROM. The UTM installer will shown up. Run through the installer options and make the appropriate selections. If finished, the installation will begin.
THE INSTALLER DETECTS AUTOMATICALLY WHICH TYPE OF VIRTUALIZATION PLATFORM IS USED AND WILL INSTALL THE CORRECT DRIVERS/KERNEL MODULES, LIKE VMWARE TOOLS ETC.
After the installation has finished and the UTM is rebooted, you can access the system by connecting to the Webadmin port 4444 on the NIC and IP you configured during the installation.